Thursday, January 30, 2014

New House Kitchen

This kitchen has been worked on little by little since we moved in six months ago.  Honestly I thought we would never finish it, it's a good thing we have Brady's determination and my dad's mad skills.





We also gave this hideous door a little makeover










Here's a little list of everything we've done in here:

1.  All new floors.  We did the same floor throughout the entire first level minus the bathroom.

2.  Painted the walls and ceiling.  We did this throughout the entire house. 

3.  Painted the cabinets and added new hardware.

4.  Put in a new sink and faucet.  When we moved in there was a normal stainless steel sink that was pretty stained and a faucet that leaked and was also stained.  We put in an apron front (farmhouse) copper sink and a faucet that had been left in the house when we moved in.  It looks like it had been used as a display, but all the pieces were there and it worked perfect.  Score!

5.  Put in new countertops.  The countertops before were an off white formica with fake wood accents.  I wanted to do butcher block counters but couldn't find the ones I wanted for a reasonable price so Brady came up with the genius idea for these counters.  We used 2 x 6's and screwed them down on top of the formica countertops and finished them to look like the ones I was wanting for 1/10th of the price.  Score again!


16 comments:

  1. I am just green with jealous rage, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it--so inviting and sharp. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the countertops, Rosie! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly what type of 2x6 did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What type of wood did you use over the Formica?? Would love to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no reply to your question? Maybe Pine board... That's my next project without a doubt! :)

      Delete
  6. I too would love to hear the answers to the questions on the countertops. Did you seal the wood to prevent it from absorbing bacteria? Did you caulk between the boards to prevent crumbs from falling between them? How are you compensating for shrinking wood? Is it difficult to keep clean? If you applied it on top of the old countertop, was it difficult to work with the new height when it came to the trim around the top and sink? The pictures make it look like the height isn't any different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just from looking at it, it looks stained and polyurethaned to me. I'd say those were 1x4's not 2x6's, they don't look wide enough or tall enough to be 2x6 (you can sort of see a 1 inch lip in the picture of the stove as well). Also 1 inch on top of a countertop seems to make more sense to me as another 2 inches would be way too high on the countertop and you'd have an enormous gap around the sink. As for the caulking/compensating I have no idea.

      Delete
    2. Actually, those are definitely 2x6s, and more than likely pine. And, a better way to do this would be to shave down each side on a table saw, which would make them more flush. Then they could be glued, clamped, and then a Kreg jig could be used to hold it together. I would have removed the old formica tops and used screws from underneath to attach the new top. I also would have 45'd that corner...that's just me, though.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Charlotte! Those are definitely 2x6’s! Figuring most counters have a depth of 24, makes sense that the four boards used would be 6’s. I also agree that the edges trimmed down would be a great idea! No grooves to clean out. Removing the old countertop would keep the new one at the proper height and would be more flush with the stove top. As for the 45 angle.... I personally like the staggered look. My husband would probably opt for the 45 lol! Any way is the right way according to the homeowners taste 😁 I also agree that the tops were poly’d. I’ve read lots of reviews from other homeowners that have done their counters and several used a product called Waterlox. Pine wood seems to be the over all choice by every tutorial/project I’ve seen. If you plan on doing this I’d say check your boards for straightness and as few knots as possible! Good luck y’all!!

      Delete
  7. I'd love more info on wood type as well as edge finish! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything on these countertops yet??? I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like so much fun! I have never been but now I think I may be planning a quick weekend trip . Thanks for sharing your tips!

    ReplyDelete